On-demand printing means no minimums and no order minimums means zero waste. Digital on-demand printing allows you to print exactly what you need, when you need it, and where you need it. Analog printing, on the other hand, encourages overproduction that results in large volumes of marketing collateral, books, and labels that are thrown away due to overprinting and obsolescence.
Sustainable Printing at GSB Digital
Environment & Sustainability
As part of an industry that depends heavily on trees, water, and other natural resources, GSB Digital embraces the concept of extended stewardship. Our objective is to make our environmental footprint as small as possible, from simple activities like recycling to complex decisions about manufacturing techniques and vendor selection.
Our decisions from the manufacturing process to the finished product reflect our commitment to reduce environmental impact. Specifically, these include:
- Established contract for all paper and corrugated waste to be removed daily for recycling.
- Plant build-out had all lighting fixtures updated to LED to reduce carbon emission plus installation of motion sensors throughout plant to turn off sections of lighting when not in use.
- Plant location is strategically built into a hillside to reduce heating and increase cooling efficiencies.
- Long term equipment commitments with HP taking into consideration their commitment to environmental sustainability. Please find the full report here.
- The entire large format department is HP Latex technology because we purposefully chose to not provide UV printing. HP Latex Printing Technologies address environmental and health concerns across a broad range of attributes throughout the entire life cycle of a print from production to disposal. The water- based formulation of HP Latex Inks fundamentally provides healthier print production without sacrificing performance.
Environmental Impact Assessment
Our core digital operations assist corporations in reducing inventory and waste by only producing what is needed, when it is needed.
Environmental Impact Targets
- To further reduce our carbon footprint, there are several operations currently under evaluation to phase out in 2023 and replace. Check this space for further updates.
- Although GSB Digital is not pursing a renewable energy program at this time, we do have a certificate of eligibility allowing our participation in Con Edison’s manufacturing district energy cost savings program.
- We are not pursuing a carbon offset program.
Environmental Management System Accreditation
Public Environmental Performance
Supplier Diversity Program
- Currently, GSB Digital does not have a documented supplier diversity program in place. However many local, small-business, and independently owned businesses currently exist in our portfolio of supply partners.
- GSB Digital does not qualify for any minority/diversity/small business status.
Chain of Custody Certification programs are validated through third-party audits assuring accurate tracking of wood fiber from a certified forest to the mill followed by the merchant. We partner with material vendors and merchants that qualify for these various certifications with the most prevalent being:
- FSC: The Forest Stewardship Council is an international certification well recognized and regarded around the world. The FSC logo identifies products, which contain wood from forests managed with respect for people and the environment. More information is available at fsc.org.
- PEFC: The Program for the Endorsement of Forest Certification is an umbrella organization that works by endorsing national forest certification systems developed through multi-stakeholder processes and tailored to local priorities and conditions. Visit pefc.org for further details.
- SFI: The Sustainable Forestry Initiative is an independent, non-profit organization that aims to promote sustainable forest management. US-based SFI is a member organization of PEFC. SFI-certified papers are available mainly in North America. More information is at sfiprogram.org
We are committed to mitigating solid waste and as such we recycle many materials used in the plant including wood pallets, packaging materials, plastic, inks, and printed-paper waste.
Most of our paper stocks contain anywhere from 10% – 100% post-consumer waste and are FSC and SFI® chain of custody certified. Additionally, our HP Indigo production presses use an on-deck oil recycling system that cuts our oil consumption in half by removing water and reusing imaging oil. This press also utilizes HP electroInks that produce vibrant and durable colors with thinner applications.